Sarafem is used for treating premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), a severe form of premenstrual syndrome.Sarafem is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). It works by restoring the balance of serotonin, a natural substance in the brain, which helps to improve mood.
Use Sarafem as directed by your doctor.
- Take Sarafem by mouth with or without food.
- Taking Sarafem at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take Sarafem even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- Do not suddenly stop taking Sarafem without checking with your doctor. Side effects may occur. They may include mental or mood changes, numbness or tingling of the skin, dizziness, confusion, headache, trouble sleeping, or unusual tiredness. You will be closely monitored when you start Sarafem and whenever a change in dose is made.
- If you miss a dose of Sarafem, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Sarafem.
Store Sarafem at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Sarafem out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredient: Fluoxetine hydrochloride.